Bellagio Hotel & Casino
3600 Las Vegas Blvd South
Las Vegas, NV 89109
Friday, November 4, 2011
THE MERCHANT PERSPECTIVE ON DEBIT INTERCHANGE REGULATION
This session begins with a presentation by the Merchant Payments Coalition’s lead counsel, Jeffrey Shinder. He’ll comment on the main two Durbin rulemakings – the regulation of interchange and the exclusivity/routing rulemakings, the arguments that were made to the Fed before and after the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) in December, and how the final outcomes departed from the statute and the NPRM. He’ll also address what the outcomes mean for the industry.
Following the presentation will be a panel discussion with the nation’s top merchants—Wal-Mart; 7-Eleven and McDonald’s—as they respond to these questions:
- Do the final rules benefit them and/or benefit merchants generally?
- Do the final rules benefit consumers?
- Will the rules will tip the balance between signature and PIN debit?
- How will the rules impact prepaid cards?
- What are the intended or unintended consequences of the rules?